Wednesday, October 19, 2011

From Journal Entry on 10/11/11

Deavion and Donte are the 2 most "at risk" boys in my class. They both are inconsistent with homework and do not really read during independent reading. Deavion would sometimes hold his book upside down, a clear indication that he was just pretending to read. I wonder if non-readers understand reading only in its most external: sitting, keeping your eyes on the page, occasionally turning a page. Deavion's a very low reader but he was trying to read more advanced chapter books like Captain Underpants. After a conference with him I've noticed he's reading books much more suitable for his ability level. So that's good. He also responds enthusiastically to our class novel and writing/drawing about recently read chapters. I wonder why this is? I wonder why he doesn't engage this way with his independent reading books? Thoughts about Deavion from today, 10/19/11: I also notice that Deavion is extremely eager to share with me his progress in reading our class novel: Because of Winn Dixie. Why is this? He also loves writing his thoughts about the book on post-its. I think he'd really benefit from a book club with a few classmates. The only thing is that his level is so low, there's not really chapter books to choose...

No comments:

Post a Comment