Thursday, February 16, 2012

Generating questions

Introducing rules and having students generate questions went really well. Most kids were super engaged. Everyone had trouble with rule #2: do not judge, discuss, or answer questions. Here are the questions they came up with:

Table 1:
-Why do you have to be 13 to be a juvenile delinquents?
-Do the parents know that Byron is skipping school?
-Could Byron be trying to be a juvenile delinquent by skipping school?

Table 2:
-Why does Buphead pick on Kenny?
-Was Byron adopted?
-How did Byron become a juvenile delinquent?
-Why don't they talk about the little sister?
-How do you become a juvenile delinquent?
-Why was Byron proud of Kenny?
-How did Byron get his lips stuck to the mirror?
-Why wasn't Buphead proud of Kenny?
-Why does Byron skip school sometimes?

Table 3:
-Do all juvenile delinquents have be bad all the time?
-Why do Byron and Buphead always pick on kids?
-Why Byron being nice to Kenny but at first he wasn't?
-Why do Byron and Buphead skip school all the time?
-Why Kenny the best son?
-Why do Byron and Buphead hates Kenny?

Table 4:
-How did Byron become a juvenile delinquents?
-What the reason of juvenile delinquents?
-Is Byron going to teach Kenny how to be a juvenile delinquents?
-How do a juvenile delinquents work?
-Do Kenny want to be a juvenile delinquents?
-Did Buphead teach Byron how to be a juvenile delinquents?
-I wonder how did Buphead become J-delinquents?

Table 5:
-Is juvenile delinquence bad?
-I wonder why juveniles don't pay attention in class?
-I wonder if juveniles go to school?
-I wonder juveniles eat?
-I wonder do juveniles like their parents?
-I wonder why juveniles don't like to go to school?

Table 6:
-I wonder did Bumphead go to juvenile with Byron?
-I wonder why they call Kenny "Poindexter"?
-I wonder why Byron miss school?
-I wonder why Byron went to juvenile delinquents?
-I wonder why Byron was proud of Kenny?
-I wonder why Byron wants to be like Kenny?


Tomorrow we categorize each question as open or closed, and switch some closed questions to open, and vice versa. I'll have to teach them that if you use "I wonder..." the sentence structure is that of a statement rather than a question.

No comments:

Post a Comment