Thursday, November 29, 2012

gr group Iowa

This is obvious but sometimes students don't ask questions about what they're reading because they understand what's going on in the book.  Iowa is reading Junie B Jones: Something Smells Fishy with me right now, and not writing down very many questions.  When I pressed Kamari about why he didn't write any questions after reading a sort of cliffhanger at the end of a chapter, he explained that he knew why Junie B. had called her grandma a genius- because Junie B. really was going to do what her grandma had joked about.  I think this group also may only be thinking about questions on a continuum between remembering and understanding, they may not have enough experience or practice asking higher level questions.  Kashira is writing a lot of inferences in her notebook and one question: "why would she go to look for a raccoon in the morning?"

Group share:
Kashira: I think Junie B. is picky.  Aniyah agrees.
Anyah: What do Junie B. get from her grandma?
Kamari: I think it's obvious from the cover that it's a fish from the cover, and her grandma said it wouldn't bite and stuff.
Kamari: Did Junie B. catch a pet for pet day? (everyone shrugs)
Kashira:I can predict to that.  I predict that she is going to bring a fish on a leash and her teacher is going to tell her that she couldn't bring it unless she had it in a cage.
We talk about changing questions to make them clearer.
Trae: Do she like raccoons?
Anyah: I don't think she likes racoons because maybe she hasn't seen one.
Kashira: I think she do because when her mom was eating cereal she says that she's going to try to catch a raccoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment