Sunday, November 20, 2011

graphic novel research

Interesting article about the pros of graphic novels:
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6312463.html by Allyson Lyga (School Library Journal 3/1/2006)

One of the most interesting ideas I got from it is creating a lesson around asking students to create captions/dialogue bubbles for pages that have no words. This is a great way to teach and assess comprehension and inferring.

The author also validated my observation of how it was easier for kids to read with expression because they can see the facial expressions of the characters! She adds that the pictures help students construct meaning. "Bryonna explained that when she looked at the pictures she thought about the words the characters were saying and she visualized the words in her head. Then, when she read the story to her sister, she created the dialogue and story based on the pictures."

I have always loved the idea of having students create their own graphic novels, and Lyga says that she did this as well, but I'll have to look elsewhere for resources/ specific instructions on how to teach this. Lyga does note that such an endeavor takes teamwork among the students (which I LOVE as a component of my afterschool program- perhaps splitting them up into teams of 4). I think eventually getting to the point where half the program involves reading, and then the other half of our time, they take techniques they learned in the reading and apply them into their own graphic novels. Perhaps they're even using many of the same characters from the graphic novel so they're transferring character traits, common settings; making inferences about possible actions their characters might take in the future, etc. The tricky thing about this is the artwork. It's a serious component with all the paneling, illustrations, etc. that I just don't have high knowledge about. Perhaps I need to partner with our wonderful art teacher?

Her book recs:
-Tintin Could be a little challenging for this age group, but enticing because there's a movie coming out as well (I know, I'm a movie geek!)

-Pinky and Stinky A story about 2 astronaut pigs? with a theme around pursuing your dreams? how awesome! i must read this book!

-The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish It's by Neil Gaiman, so that's a big plus. I love the Sandman! (which we will not be reading!)

-Bumperboy Loses His Marbles! Sounds like an easier, simpler read, good for the 3rd graders in the program.

-Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer Almost completely wordless. I'm curious...

-Monkey vs. Robot Ecological theme? Hmm...

-Creating the X-Men: How Comic Books Come to Life A potentially terrific resource for teaching kids how to create a graphic novel, hopefully they give you step by step instructions.


Okay, all these graphic novels have got me excited! Time to research and read!

No comments:

Post a Comment