Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thoughts about Selecting Students

5/6/7th graders (keeping in mind they need to be leaders socially, intellectually, and perhaps artistically. these need to be kids who will do most of the helping, rather than need to be helped):

Davion J (great artist, good reader, quiet, could be a good mentor for Donte, but is he forceful enough to keep him focused?)

Cortez (exuberant reader, very polite, I want to include him because I think he needs something like this right now)

Jamar (very high performing reader, excellent artist, can be a bit snobby so I wonder if he'll lose interest with easier graphic novels)

Tyree (good reader, amazing character, I'd love to have him but he's already very committed to dance afterschool)

Jawan (good reader, amazing character, I'd love to have him but he's already very committed to basketball afterschool)


At Risk 5th Graders (who could improve their reading through this program)

Japrice (loved reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid last year and making his own books, he'd LOVE this program)

Korian (very sweet, very energetic, still struggles with reading, doesn't seem to like it, I wonder if he'd be focused enough for this program)


4th Graders:

Tyshaun
Rashad (both of these guys would love it)

Alex (recommended Lunch Lady and Cyborg Substitute to me! would be a great mentor, can't stop talking about books)

Olajuwon (hangs out with me after school anyways, very smart, loves reading, would be a good mentor)

Josh (all around good student, wonderful personality, could use a push like this program)
Adonis (ditto, always with me afterschool anyways)

Deavion (needs this program, this program was conceived with him in mind)
Donte (ditto)
Jaymon (ditto, afterschool availability is a question mark)

Brandon (one of the brightest students, could use the push, always with me afterschool anyways)
Zeke (ditto)

Jaquez and David (from Ms. Willis' class, both really need this)

3rd Graders (per Ms. Garrison and Ms. Pendley's recommendation, I'm thinking of taking around 5 total)

That makes the total 25, which is way more than I was thinking. I think at least 5 won't show/be able to do it, which leaves me with 20. I think, although this group is on the bigger side, I'll be able to focus in on a few students for case studies, more qualitative data (I'm thinking Donte and Deavion for sure).

Next steps for this week:
-finalize which students I'll be inviting, send home parent survey + program brochure next monday
-finalize which graphic novels I'll be ordering for the program
-clarify the writing portion of the program, what templates will be used, how will i help them artistically - ask Ms. Morsher for help?

No comments:

Post a Comment