Tuesday, January 31, 2012

notes on donte

So I know it's been awhile since I updated, so many interesting things have happened, especially in comic book club, but with the end of the quarter, grades due, professional development responsibilities, etc. I never seem to have the time. But I wanted to get this down before I forgot. During a read aloud today I noticed that Donte had brought his comic book club binder to the rug (many of the boys have actually turned their binders into carry alls for homework, writing, notes, etc.). He was scribbling furiously as I read. At the end of the read aloud I asked Donte what he was writing about. He said he was writing about the things that John Henry had been doing. When I asked why, he said it was so that he could remember the story. This validates my theory that Donte latched on to writing short synopses of what he read as a self-modification. I think this link between reading, writing, and comprehension is clear. What I wonder about is how to replicate this organic and individualized process by which Donte self-modified his reading approach to improve his comprehension. Nobody likes being forced to take notes...

One other note I just wanted to put on record to give background about Donte...This morning I asked Donte why he was absent and he told me that he didn't have shoes yesterday. Then he showed me his new shoes. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I thought it was noteworthy just to give context about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment