Friday, January 20, 2012

Thoughts before our 2nd Comic Book Club

I was slightly disappointed by the turnout to the club last week. Not so much in the total number (10 kids), but that Donte and Deavion didn't show up. In general the students who showed up were higher performing, already enthusiastic readers. I think Donte, Deavion, Jaymon, and David will come today because they've seen other boys carrying around their decorated (and very suave I might add) comic book club binders.

Another thing that I'm excited to see is how many boys have been keeping up with their reading logs and diary entries. I know Alex has, he's always really enthusiastic to show me his updated reading log everyday :-) Zeke just came into my room to tell me that he finished his comic book assignments. I think one thing I definitely want to do for this session is allow them to share their reading logs and diary entries, and really hype up (and maybe reward) kids who did a good job on their own.

I also think that going with Lunch Lady as the first books we read was a good choice because it's just such an engaging, captivating book-regardless of reading level. Donte was in a trance yesterday, reading the first Lunch Lady by himself on the window sill. He finished the whole thing yesterday! I have had a few suggestions about follow up books that might take us to a deeper place: Coraline, or the graphic novel of Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun by Timothy Canada (which I think they'd get a lot of, have many personal connections, and would probably learn a lot).

I also want to model for them what writing in your diary might look like, and how you can respond to your reading in a diary entry.

Here's what I'm thinking for our agenda today:
-Sharing the Week (at the rug sitting in a circle, we share diary entries, reading logs, and major events of the week.
-Game (charades)
-Reading (the next 1/3 of Lunch Lady with a mini-lesson on taking notes about secondary characters)
-Writing (Brainstorming secondary characters)
-Diary writing (should this go in the beginning?)

No comments:

Post a Comment